International SIL Student Competition
We hereby announce an international competition, open to all students and early-career members of SIL, the International Society of Limnology. In this competition, the best paper in Limnology coming out of a PhD or MSc of a SIL member and published recently will be chosen.
The competition winner will present his/her study as a plenary lecture at the upcoming SIL Congress in Torino, Italy.
There will be two stages to this competition:
Stage 1 – National: Each country will choose its best paper that will enter the international competition. This stage will be organized by the national representative(s). Each country can submit only one paper, except countries with > 50 SIL members that can submit two papers for the competition. A committee will be set up in each country that will rank the papers according to the scoring system detailed below and choose the paper(s) for Stage 2.
Stage 2 - International: An international jury of seven members from seven countries will review the papers from the different countries and choose the winner, based on a scoring system detailed below.
Conditions for participating in Stage 1 of the competition
- The candidate must be a SIL member.
- The candidate must be the first author of the submitted article.
- The candidate must be a student, or an early career professional that has finished his/her MSc or PhD in 2012 or later.
- The article must be in the field of limnology (aquatic sciences).
- The article must be written in English.
- The article must have been published or fully accepted for publication in 2013, 2014, or 2015.
- A nomination letter highlighting the strengths of the article and explaining why it warrants being considered for this competition must be attached.
Materials to submit
- The filled application form >>>
- Reprint of the paper or alternatively the manuscript with all tables and figures in one single PDF file accompanied by the acceptance letter from the journal.
- Scanned copy of the degree certificate or alternatively certificate of recent student status (either PhD or MSc) from the relevant university. This university should be the affiliation of paper author.
- A nomination letter highlighting the strengths of the article and explaining why it warrants being considered for this competition. This letter should to be written by the head of the higher-degree school, or by a senior colleague who is not your direct supervisor.
Competition candidates should submit the above to their SIL national representative. Competing candidates from countries with no national representative should submit their documents to Prof. Judit Padisák, the overall competition coordinator.
30 September 2015 / Deadline for articles and accompanying documents to the National Representative (NR) or to Judit Padisák in countries with no NR.
15 December 2015 / Deadline for submission of the winner article from each country to the SIL student prize competition coordinator, Judit Padisák.
15 March 2016 / The competition winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd places) will be announced.
August 2016 / Awards will be given to the competition winners at a special session, dedicated to this student contest, at the SIL Congress in Torino.
Criteria for evaluating the publications during the national screening and again at the international stage will be
- Scientific/technical quality (score 0-20),
- Methodological approach (score 0-20),
- Relevance and potential scientific impact of work carried out (score 0-20).
Awards will consist of one main and two additional prizes, plus merit certificates to all those participating in Stage 2 of the competition
- The main prize will consist of a certificate and a SIL grant to attend the August 2016 SIL Congress in Torino, including registration fee and travel costs.
- During this meeting, the winning author will be required to give a dedicated Plenary Lecture (30 min) on his/her winning article.
- The winners of the second and third prizes will receive certificates and grant money to cover their registration fee to attend the SIL Congress. They will be required to present their papers as regular presentations.
- All participants of Stage 2 will receive a certificate and be invited to present their papers in the special session.