The Tonolli Memorial Fund
The Tonolli Fund of SIL was created in 1985 through a bequest from Vittorio and Livia Tonolli, well known limnologists at the Istituto Italiano di Idrobiologia in Pallanza, Italy. The purpose of the fund is to provide assistance to young limnologists of developing countries. In recent years, the awards committee for the Tonolli Fund has used the fund primarily for support of students who are taking post-graduate degrees (MS, MSc, PhD) in the field of limnology. The committee would also consider, however, the possibility of research support for young limnologists who have just received an advanced degree and are in need of funds to support research, or of local limnological projects involving more than one limnologist.
Awards from the Tonolli Fund generally are in the amount of $500 to $2,000 for a period of one year (recipients can also apply again for support in the following year). Applications are evaluated during June of each year. Applications can be sent at any time.
The awards committee for the Tonolli Fund will emphasize research and graduate education in the field of limnology. While there is some overlap between disciplines, the Tonolli Fund committee does not place the highest priority on research that is primarily oriented toward aquaculture or fisheries. Subjects of highest priority for the Tonolli Fund include the following: cycling (biogeochemistry) of carbon, key nutrients, or other elements known to be important to inland waters; studies of the production of either plant, animal, or microbial biomass and the factors that regulate production; studies of community composition, biodiversity, or factors that regulate these attributes of inland waters; analytical or comparative studies of physical, chemical, or biotic processes in streams, rivers, or wetlands.
Factors to be considered in the competition for fellowship support include the statement of the applicant on research interests and need for financial support, and the written evaluation of two university faculty members who know the applicant well. Applicants should explain clearly how the proposed work will be done, what equipment is available, what methods will be used, what problems might arise and how they will be solved, where the project will be conducted, and who will be available for advising purposes. Finally, applicants should explain why a particular problem was chosen for study, and comment on the importance of the problem for theoretical or applied limnology. Applicants should cite at least one internationally published journal article that they have read as inspiration for the work that they are undertaking.
The Tonolli Fund cannot be used for international travel or non-research expenses. Awards are made through institutions only. The award recipient must file a brief report within 14 months after receiving the award, explaining use of the award and research progress.
Awards are made during July; applications are due in June.
Rules for the Administration of the Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Fund
- The objectives of the Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Fund are to perpetuate the memory of Vittorio Tonolli by providing assistance to young limnologists of developing countries for acquisition of limnological experience.
- The Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Fund is administered by the Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Committee according to the following rules adopted by the SIL.
- Interest earnings of the fund shall be dispersed to deserving individuals as recommended by the consensus of the Committee under working guidelines for use of the fund.
- The Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Committee shall consist of five members, two of which shall be the President and General Secretary of the SIL, who shall act as Chairperson and Secretary, respectively, of the Committe. The three other members shall be elected by the International Committee. The elected members shall represent three different countries, other than those (that) represented by the Chairperson and the Secretary. An Italian member of SIL shall always be represented on the Tonolli Memorial Committee. Reelection of members is permissible.
- The Committee shall decide by vote, three members forming a quorum. If voting is even, the Chairperson shall have the deciding vote. Voting may be by correspondence.
- In the case of dissolution of the SIL, the last General Assembly shall decide the future use of the Vittorio Tonolli Memorial Fund.
Tonolli Memorial Award Recipients
|2016||Sameer Mukund Padhye||India|
|Maria Romina Schiaffino||Argentina|
|Carmela Vannette Vicera||Philippines|
|2015||Erica Silk Dela Paz||Philippines|
|Mark Louie Lopez||Philippines|
|Moshood Keke Mustapha||Nigeria|
|Mc Jervis Villaruel||Philippines|
|Jhaydee Ann Pascual||Philippines|
|2008||Silvia L. Villabona Gonzalez||Colombia|
|Rey Donne S. Papa||Philippines|
|Luciana de Olibeira Vidal||Cameroon|
|Paula de Tezanos Pinto||Cameroon|
|Musa Mlambo||South Africa|
|Catalina Gonzalez Rueda||Colombia|
|2003||María Julieta Parma de Croux||Argentina|
|Youssouf Abou||Benin Republic|
|C. O. Olilo||Kenya|
|A. Weerasundara||Sri Lanka|
|1996||S. E. Abi-Ayad||Algeria|
|M. L. Talavera López||Nicaragua|
|1994||R. E. M. Entsua-Mensah||Ghana|
|L. K. Chettry||Nepal|
|J. Nihal Rajendra||Sri Lanka|
|I. G. Mbagwu||Nigeria|
|S. K. Golama||Zaire|
|1991||A. S. Mahious||Algeria|
|K. P. Sharma||India|
|Jayaraman Subramaniam||Sri Lanka|
|Mohammed E. Adam||Sudan|